Installation after building from source

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:49 AM
Hi Andre;

Very interesting project!  I've downloaded the installers, but found they require Visual Basic to work.  I downloaded VS2008 Professional from Microsoft on the DreamSpark program, and didn't install Visual Basic at that time.  So I don't have Visual Basic, and getting it would be quite troublesome now. 

So I decided I'd just build the DSLs from source.  This went fairly well.  The BuildFixer.bat file in the DslPackage project has some hardcoded paths from your machine in it, but that was simple enough to fix.  I also found the CSharp/1033 was empty after I built it, but removing the entire bin folder and rebuilding seemed to fix that issue.

Now I have built GameDefinitionDSL, InputMapperDSL, ArcadEngine, and MoneyHunt, with no reported problems, but I have two issues:

When I run MoneyHunt (F5 from VS), I get an exception at base.Initialize() (line 37 of MoneyHuntGame.designer) saying the XNA.Game library can't be found... it's looking for the 2.0 version, not the 3.0 version.  I can't tell why.  All references in all the projects specify 3.0.

More importantly, when I start Visual Studio, I don't see the ArcadExGame template when I try File>New.  If I try just creating a Windows project, then I can add a new *item* to the project and see two templates, both called CSharp.  If I single click on them, they fill in the file names they'll create... one fills in "InputMapping1.inputmapping" and the other fills in "Game1.game"  So it looks like something has gone wrong with the installation of the DSLs, but I don't know how to fix it.  Any ideas?

Thanks very much!
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Hi Garbled,

Thanks for investigating the SharpLudus build process.

With regard to MoneyHunt, are you using FlatRedBall binaries that actually consume XNA 3.0? Its latest version should do.

With regard to the new project template: were you able to clean/rebuild the installer project successfully?

BR,
-- AFurtado

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:53 AM
Thanks for your reply,

I downloaded the latest FlatRedBall package.  I didn't have a previous installation, so there's no chance of it finding some old version.
I did notice in the ArcadeExGame.zip archive, in the MyTemplate file, there's a reference to XNA.Framework version 2.0.0.0.  I changed that to 3.0.0.0 and rebuilt, but here again, when I try to run the msi it says it requires VisualBasic, so I think I'm stuck.

The good news is that everything builds fine, no errors, no warnings.  I guess I just need VisualBasic installed, but I'll read some more about deploying a DSL package.  Maybe I'll learn how to get around the problem.  I only just started learning the VisualStudio SDK a few days ago, so I don't know much yet.  I still hope SharpLudus will be a great tutorial platform to learn from if I can get it working.
Apr 22, 2009 at 2:32 AM
In case you were wondering, I'm still looking at this.  I've managed to compile and run MoneyHunt now.  I had to rebuild ArcadEx.Core... I don't know where I set the references for FlatRedBall for, but that was where the XnaFramework 2.0 was being referenced.

I've also built the two DSL installers.  Removed the requirement for VB from them and they built and installed fine.

The template for ArcadEx is available from VS now too.
The only noticable issue I've got now is that if I create a new project using the ArcadEx template, and try to build it with no changes, it won't build properly.  Looks like it's having a problem with the default input mapping.  I'll try redownloading and rebuilding ArcadEx core.  Maybe I changed something while i was trying to figure out my build issues.

Loading the MoneyHunt project, modding the DSL with the VS tools, and then rebuilding and launching with F5 is really cool.  Makes the barrage of editors and pipeline tools I use at work look archaic.
Apr 22, 2009 at 2:56 AM
Edited Apr 22, 2009 at 2:57 AM
Working now.  Just had to rebuild the template for the default input mapping before building the game.
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2009 at 7:12 AM
Those are great news, Garbled! Thanks for trying this out. How did you remove the reference do VB? Was it in the setup xml file of the DSL setup project?
Apr 23, 2009 at 1:47 AM
Yes, I removed three references to VB in the DSL setup project:

One was in InstallerDefinition.dslsetup, one was in Main.wxs, and one was in Strings.wxl.  I probably didn't need to remove the last one... it was just the error message to print out that VB was required.  but I commented it out anyway for completeness.